Conceptual Block Understanding EagleFiler

I trying out the demo of EagleFiler and like it very much.

However, when trying to imagine some projects I might do with it, I’m unsure about how EF works.

Let’s pretend I import and group of PDFS, docs and other stuff. As I understand it all that “stuff” goes into the EF database. So, if I open/annotate/revise any of those documents from within EF the resulting changes are to the documents within the EF database. All the “original” documents are still there in their old location–no changes made to them.

Am I correct in my understanding? If not, could someone let me know how work flows proceed in EF? If I can assume it simply sucks in all the “stuff” and creates it’s own EF universe, then I proceed one way. If not, then I need to look at the program differently.

And, if I’m correct, then I assume I can export/take out documents from my EF database to send to other people, and so on.

Thanks for any insights, but I think I’m somehow missing some “big picture” issues regarding EF (even though I did look over the manual).

I think the easiest way to understand EagleFiler is to think of it like iTunes. There’s a database that holds various metadata about the files, but the files themselves are not in the database. Rather, they are stored in a regular folder that’s managed by iTunes/EagleFiler. You don’t have to export the files because they’re already accessible from the Finder.

Probably you’ll want to delete your original documents after importing them into an EagleFiler library. That way you won’t have to keep track of which copy you’re opening/revising.