Spam stopped getting filtered

I had spam sieve running quite well and it was catching nearly all of my spam with only very few errors.

Then a few days ago, all of my spam started remaining in my Inbox. Spamsieve is launching and it is hearing my manual marking of spam messages as spam, but no filtering is going on.

I made no changes in configuration that I know of.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, could it be due to a change in MS security policies?

Is there a simpler explanation? I have reviewed the installation procedure and it seems that everything is correctly set.

Some basic troubleshooting information is available here. If you still can’t get it to work, please send me some more information about how you have it set up.

Aha!
I recently moved the Entourage installation. I will try to reinstall the rules assuming that they somehow have to know where all the pieces live.

Fixed
The problem definitely had to do with moving Entourage. Re-installing the scripts fixed things again.

Spamsieve not working
Funny, but I have experienced the same problem as Ted. A few days ago Spamsieve appeared to stop filtering spam AND I’VE CHANGED NO SETTINGS.

The corpus is intact and I’m continuing to ‘Train as Spam’ anything I don’t wish to receive. It’s almost as if all the spammers have suddenly learnt how to trick Spamsieve into letting their spam alone. I assume this is impossible?

I’ve checked all the settings, including that of Mac Mail, and everything seems fine. Curious!

Furthermore, the ‘Training as Spam’ process is not catching subsequent spam which are remaining in my Inboxes. Any thoughts?

Has Spamsieve met its match?

Regards

Phil
UNITED KINGDOM

continued …
Oh yes, I almost forgot, I have Spamsieve running on two Macintosh laptops and both copies are letting spam through. NOW, THAT REALLY IS CURIOUS!!!

Regards

Phil
UNITED KINGDOM

More likely is that for some reason Mail is no longer asking SpamSieve to examine the incoming messages. Please check the log to see if there are any “Predicted” entries for the spam messages in question. If so, e-mail me SpamSieve’s log:

/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/SpamSieve/SpamSieve Log.log

so that I can see why the messages are getting through. If not, e-mail me the file:

/Users/<username>/Library/Mail/MessageRules.plist

so that I can check your Mail setup.

fixed my problem
My problem was to reinstall the scripts into Entourage.

The problem is that the scripts are somewhat sensitive to the location of Entourage and spamSieve and I had moved entourage (and left SS in place out of caution).

WHy don’t you try that?

Actually, it’s Entourage that’s sensitive to the location of the scripts.

Because it sounds like he’s using Apple Mail rather than Entourage.

Hi Michael

There were no “Predicted” entries in the Log, there were all “Trained”.

However, your second point made me take a closer look at my Rules within Mail. The “SpamSieve” Rule which should be ahead of all my other rules was missing on both my laptops!!! I have no recollection of removing them which I would not consciously do because I know their purpose.

I have reinstated this rule on both laptops and await developments. I will know within 24 hours if I have been successful.

I use my .MAC account to synchronize my emails between laptops but I have inhibited my Rules to synchronizing so there is a very low probability that both my SpamSieve rules would dissappear at the same time. So there is still a mystery to solve.

Regards

Phil
UNITED KINGDOM

continued …
Hi Michael

It has been only 5 to 10 minutes since I posted the above reply but I have just checked my emails and spam is once again being directed to my Spam folder. My Inboxes are free of spam.

I think there is little doubt that the problem has been fixed.

Regards

Phil
UNITED KINGDOM

continued … again …
SpamSieve is once again working OK.

Why the SpamSieve rule should disappear on both my laptops at the same time is likely to remain a mystery. If it can happen to me, it could happen to other forum members. Check your filtering rules if SpamSieve appears to stop working, it could be that the SpamSieve rule is missing or has slipped lower down the rule stack.

Michael - thanks for hinting at the probable cause.

Regards

Phil
UNITED KINGDOM