Icon Size in OSX 10.6.3

I just upgraded from OSX 10.5.8 to 10.6.3. Now when I launch a dmg created by DropDMG the icons from the files in the dmg are much larger (48x48) than when using 10.5.8 (20x20).

Is there anyway to control this?

DropDMG doesn’t set the icon size, so you can probably affect how the icons display on your Mac by setting the default size in the Finder’s View Options.

I don’t think this is true. If I use DMG Canvas to create a DMG, I can set the icon size, text location, etc of the files. I’m not sure but believe this in stored in the .DS_Store file in the DMG archive. DropDMG must be inheriting this information from somewhere.

Yes, the icon settings are stored in the .DS_Store. However, images created by DropDMG do not have .DS_Store files, so they inherit the system defaults. I’ve just done some tests, and it seems as though the defaults are 48x48 on both 10.5.8 and 10.6.3, and this does not seem to be affected by the default view options set in the Finder.

If you want to force a specific icon size, you could create a read-write image, mount it, and adjust the view options in the Finder, which would cause it to create a .DS_Store file.

This is a screen shot of a mounted DMG that I created with DropDMG and it does have a .DS_Store.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6403/dsstore.png

I created a directory within a directory. The second directory has the files in it. I then dropped it on DropDMG. After launching the top most directory icons are 48x48 while the inner directory is 20x20.

When I look at the directories prior to dropping on DropDMG they are both 20x20.

What I meant is that DropDMG doesn’t create a .DS_Store file for the volume. If there’s already one in the source folder, DropDMG will copy it (because it copies the entire folder contents). However, the view settings will not transfer because (as I understand it) Mac OS X stores them differently for folders and volumes.

As I said, the Mac OS X default is 48x48, and I don’t know of a way to change this except by editing the view options after the image is mounted. (Well, if you already had a .DS_Store file that was setup properly for a volume, you could copy that, I suppose.)

DropDMG 3.0 adds support for setting the icon size.