Crash

Hello Michael,

I have finally purchased EF- thank you for creating it.

I am now creating some larger libraries and the program is crashing. And it is repeatable.

I have a 12 gig folder with all types of audio files. I import the folder into my EF library and walk away.

When I return, the program has crashed with no reference to the fact. I can’t make much sense of the log and am happy to send it to you.

I did notice that the crash occurs when EF hits an old desktop folder from an old powerbook [with an alias to a file that no longer exists.] (I don’t know how that folder got in there. Now you see why I need EF. :wink: )

Thank you,

John

p.s. I use the program Scrivener - http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

Would it be possible to add that to EF. (I know I can add the files but I would love to read them.)

I also use .dss files from an Olympus pocket recorder.
http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/2590_software.cfm?category=8&productgroup=347&product=392&os=9&result=

It would be cool for those to be playable from within EF

Which version of Mac OS X are you using? How do you know that it’s crashing, if you aren’t seeing EagleFiler’s crash reporter or the Mac OS X crash reporter? Is there a crash log for EagleFiler in the folder:

/Users/<you>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/

?

Are there any relevant entries in the system log in Console? Please e-mail them to me along with EagleFiler’s log file.

What do you mean by “hits”? Does it crash if you only import that folder?

As far as I know, Scrivener uses a private file format, so I think the proper way to handle this would be for Scrivener to have a Quick Look plug-in. (It already has a Spotlight plug-in, and that’s how EagleFiler is able to search Scrivener documents.)

Please send me one of the files that you want to play, and I’ll look into it. It should be possible if there’s a QuickTime component that understands that format.

Which version of Mac OS X are you using? How do you know that it’s crashing

10.4.11 imac g5 2 ghz 1.5 gig ram

I did not know if it crashed. No report of a crash in the log. All I know is that when I returned the program had “quit” on its own.

It has now crashed in my third try. i removed what seemed to be the offending folder and it got almost to the end of all the files to be imported and then did crash. I have sent you the log.

What do you mean by “hits”?

I looked in the EF files folder and surmised that the program quit when it “hit” that folder because the folder was there, but the contents were not.

It looks like it did crash, although it’s not clear why from the log. It was trying to read a file during import. Are there any errors messages in the console.log window of the Console application? How large is the last file? Are you able to import it by itself?

I was not able to find a QuickTime component for DSS, but there’s an application called Switch that can apparently convert the files to a more standard format.

Are there any errors messages in the console.log window of the Console application?

Perhaps this is the error?

mach_port_mod_refs(reply_port) failed: (os/kern) invalid name

How large is the last file? Are you able to import it by itself?

It is 248 megs and I can import it by itself.

It crashed again and I sent you the log.

With my EF libraries and the crashes, should i be worried about their integrity? Do I need to start from scratch?
or do I need to dump the last partial import and restart that import from its beginning?
Or can I try to continue the import from where it failed?

Thank you for your help and thank you for the reference to switch.

I don’t think so, but it’s hard to know. I’m glad that it’s importing correctly now. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s enough information logged to determine where the problem was. I’ve not heard other reports of errors/crashes like this.

No, because by the time the import finishes and a file shows up in the EagleFiler window, it’s been completely copied and imported. EagleFiler’s database (which it uses to track the files) is robust such that it will not be corrupted by a crash in the middle of an operation.

That’s really up to you, depending on whether it’s easier to find and import the missing files or to do the whole import again.

I still can’t get a complete import of a large folder to EF. I am using 2 firewire drives in this process. Would that cause any problems? The original files are on one drive and the EF document and files are on the second one. I will hook them up to my MBP and see if the same thing happens.

As far as I know, Scrivener uses a private file format, so I think the proper way to handle this would be for Scrivener to have a Quick Look plug-in. (It already has a Spotlight plug-in, and that’s how EagleFiler is able to search Scrivener documents.)

Also, back to the Scrivener question. It seems to me that scrivener creates a shell for its files (as I am no expert I don’t know if “shell” is the right term.). If I go and use the control-click command of Show Package Contents of a .scriv file, the primary files - the original writing which I am most interested in - are all in the rtfd format. There are also a bunch of text files which are used as synopses for the rtfd files. (For me they are not important.) There is also a quicklook folder as well as some xml and a binder.scrivproj file (which maybe helps to hold it all together.) Anyway, I am wondering if from knowing this that you can then make the contents of these files viewable in EF. (I certainly can understand that you may say no because it is too much work to make it happen, and I had to ask.)

Thank you for your work and your quick responses. I appreciate both.

Not that I’m aware of. Lots of people (including me) use setups like that, and no one has ever reported crashes of this kind. It’s possible that there’s a bug, but my first reaction is that there may be a local issue with your setup.

The term is “package.”

Well, it seems to me that the binder.scrivproj is what tells how the different files relate to one another. Without that, EagleFiler wouldn’t even know the names of the constituent documents. Secondly, there’s the question of how to display what is essentially a folder of documents all at once.

You’re right that it saves a QuickLook folder. For some reason this wasn’t working for me before, but now it is. What this means is that a Quick Look plug-in is not required. So EagleFiler can already display the Quick Look preview for Scrivener documents, which in this case seems to be a list of the document names.