Import problem with demo version

Hi:

I am trying to drag and drop url/bookmark in the demo version to no avail. Is the version fully functional (I install it twice without success)?

Instead, I get an error message: Could not import URL “Please check that the URL is valid and that the server is accessible and does not require authentication. [Operation could not be completed. Operation not permitted]”

Charles

Yes, the demo is fully functional. Where are you dragging the URL from, and what are you dropping it onto?

What are some of the URLs that you’ve tried?

Safari Version 3.0.4 (5523.15)

I tried any kind of urls: from this site to yahoo.com. I dropped in the Drop Pad, folders, library Records,… Same error message: “Could not import URL”

Charles

That’s strange. I haven’t seen this before. Please send me EagleFiler’s log file:

/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/EagleFiler/EagleFiler.log

Log sent.

error: TaskFailedException - 1 - cp: chflags:
Hi, I probably get the same error when I want to import any files (PDFs, DOCs etc.) into EagleFiler (Demo 1.3.8):

error: TaskFailedException - 1 - cp: chflags: /Users/…/FOCUS Online.pdf: Operation not permitted

Funny enough some of the files that could not be imported still appear in EagleFiler.

From the error message I would suspect a rights problem with Unix.

Any idea how I could fix this?

Thanks and best regards from Munich
Claus

It looks like the files have a Unix attribute set that EagleFiler doesn’t have permission to copy. What happens if you make a copy of the file in the Finder and then try to import it into EagleFiler? Do you know how to use “ls” in Terminal?

file permissions - invalid file mode

The files reside on a ReadyNAS and I should have all the required rigths but found that when I try to reset the file rights to one of the files that wouldn’t copy I get this:
Macintosh:Networking Basics clausfeitzinger$ ls -l Auto*.wri
-rw-rw-r-- 1 clausfeitzinger clausfeitzinger 9248 May 17 2005 Auto Negotiation Glitches.wri
Macintosh:Networking Basics clausfeitzinger$ chmod Auto*.wri 777
chmod: Invalid file mode: Auto Negotiation Glitches.wri

Whatever an invalid file mode might be probably caused the error message. Funny enough some of the files that could not be copied landed in EagleFiler nonetheless. ???

Can I see how many files were imorted during an import? Otherwise I have no clue whether all files landed in EagleFiler or not.
Since I would like to migrate my reference files knowing that none are lost is essential.
Thanks and kind regards
Claus

That’s simply not the right syntax for the “chmod” command. The mode (777, in this case) needs to go before the filename.

The error that EagleFiler encountered was with “chflags” not “chmod”.

What happens if you make a copy of the file in the Finder (to your local hard disk) and then try to import the copy into EagleFiler?

Presumably you mean that they appear in the Finder inside the library folder, but not in the EagleFiler itself? My guess is that the copy succeeded except for the last step of setting the flags.

For every file that doesn’t make it into EagleFiler, there should be an error in the Errors window. Additionally, the Growl notification will tell the number of files successfully imported in that batch.

Darn, that hurts…

What happens if you make a copy of the file in the Finder (to your local hard disk) and then try to import the copy into EagleFiler?

… copied a folder to the local hard drive and that imported without errors.

Presumably you mean that they appear in the Finder inside the library folder, but not in the EagleFiler itself? My guess is that the copy succeeded except for the last step of setting the flags.

The files did appear inside EagleFinder.

Since I have admin rights on the NAS and the Mac I wonder which rights could be missing…

Cheers
Claus

My guess is that the Finder is silently stripping the relevant flags. Perhaps by using “ls -lO” you could determine which flags the files on the NAS have.

Applications don’t automatically get to use the admin rights. They have to be specifically written to ask for your admin password and use it to perform the restricted actions. EagleFiler does not do this, so if it tries to do something for which it doesn’t have enough privileges, the OS will report an error.