Scrivener Packages

Michael,

Scrivener is a wonderful writing program that I am using. Instead of creating one new file at a time for word processing, Scrivener creates a package - which operates much like a folder for storing multiple drafts, outlines and research materials. Within each package, documents are stored as rtfd files. However, the document names that appear when Scrivener opens a package differ from the file names automatically given to the documents in the package. As a result, opening a Scrivener package in the finder will list the rtfd documents - but they have different names. Spotlight finds the package names - but cannot find the documents by name. Spotlight can find Scrivener rtfd documents by a text search.

I imported a Scrivener package into EF and tried a search. EF found the package name. However, EF could not find the rtfd document within the package by a text search. Is there any way EF can search inside a Scrivener package? Is there any way EF can find a document by the name used when Scrivener is open - and not just by its finder name?

Regards,
Gene

EagleFiler has its own special indexing for common file types such as PDFs and Web archives. For other types of files it’s written to use the same indexing engine as Spotlight. Unfortunately, there is a bug in OS that prevents this from working with packages, so at present it does not index the contents of packages, except those that it specifically knows about (e.g. .rtfd). As a workaround, if you add the relevant document names to an EagleFiler note on the Scrivener package, you’ll be able to find it when searching for those terms.

Michael,

Thank you as always for your prompt response and suggested workaround. However, does your reference to rtfd files mean that EF can index and “see” the rtfd files within a Scrivener package?

Regards,
Gene

No. I mean that EagleFiler can index free-standing RTFD files (which themselves are packages) that are not inside of another package.

EagleFiler 1.3.3 can search the contents of Scrivener packages.