Thread: PDF Spam Filtering

Hybrid View

Default PDF Spam Filtering

I (like most everyone else) have been hit with a lot of PDF spam recently. SpamSieve doesn't seem to have the ability to filter this type of spam yet. Any plans to issue an update with this feature? Soon please :)

I don’t think this requires an update. SpamSieve is catching all the PDF spams for me. If it isn’t for you, there may be something else going on. Please check your setup and/or report the ones that are getting through.

Default No Luck Here

PDF Spam is filling my mailbox and training does not seem to help.
    What specific settings might help?

Quote Originally Posted by sfraw View Post
    PDF Spam is filling my mailbox and training does not seem to help.
    What specific settings might help?
    No special settings are necessary, but you need to verify that the messages are actually getting through SpamSieve, and it may be necessary to reset the corpus. But before you reset the corpus, please send me a report.

Default pdf spam and unusal "trained as good"

Michael,
    I am getting lots of pdf spam too, both with the pdf opened and displayed and also as pdf attachments.

I always (almost) hit cntl-apple-s and the message disappears but it seems many are still being trained as "good" and added to my white list, at least that is what the log.log seems to say. I am enclosing it.

In fact I just had an attachment pdf hit my mailbox while typing this and saw it automatically added to my whitelist (the whitelist was open.) I'm going to remove many of these from the whitelist and see if I can add them to the black list...

Well, it looks like I can only remove them and not move them.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkez View Post
    I am getting lots of pdf spam too, both with the pdf opened and displayed and also as pdf attachments.

I always (almost) hit cntl-apple-s and the message disappears but it seems many are still being trained as "good" and added to my white list, at least that is what the log.log seems to say. I am enclosing it.
    Same here. I've tried training these types of files as SPAM, but for some reason, they seem to be adding themselves to my whitelist, such as the ones below.

================================================== ===================
    Predicted: Good (25)
    Subject: Emailing: alert.pdf
    Identifier: QIiyNZ9bIdzKrMpYJdjKxQ==
    Reason: P(spam)=0.000[0.457], bias=0.000, x-mimeole:ProducedByMicrosoftMimeOLEV6.00.2900.3138( 0.001), MT:MSHTML6.00.2900.3132(0.001), XM:MicrosoftOutlookExpress6.00.2900.3138(0.001), S:Emailing(0.001), R:^32(0.998), R:^112(0.995), X:HELO-DYNAMIC-DIALIN(0.909), X:INVALID-TZ-GMT(0.889), H:X-MSMail-Priority(0.842), x-msmail-priority:Normal(0.842), handled(0.160), handled(0.160), attachments(0.170), attachments(0.170), viruses(0.191)
    Date: 2007-07-18 09:37:15 -0400
    Trained: Good (Auto)
    Subject: Emailing: alert.pdf
    Identifier: QIiyNZ9bIdzKrMpYJdjKxQ==
    Actions: added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "cemil@b1b2.com"> to SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (name) Is Equal to "cemil novac"> to SpamSieve whitelist, added to Good corpus (1104)
    Date: 2007-07-18 09:37:15 -0400
    Predicted: Good (25)
    Subject: Emailing: Invoice.pdf
    Identifier: 8UdhNEWDMBUpCOXrhuH2Jg==
    Reason: P(spam)=0.000[0.454], bias=0.000, x-mimeole:ProducedByMicrosoftMimeOLEV6.00.2900.3138( 0.001), MT:MSHTML6.00.2900.3132(0.001), S:Emailing(0.001), XM:MicrosoftOutlookExpress6.00.2900.3138(0.001), invoice.pdf(0.005), ^ih-944(0.005), ^iw-896(0.005), invoice.pdf(0.005), R:^ono^com(0.995), R:^dyn^user^ono^com(0.995), R:^user^ono^com(0.995), X:RCVD-NUMERIC-HELO(0.895), handled(0.143), handled(0.143), H:X-MSMail-Priority(0.841)
    Date: 2007-07-18 09:47:15 -0400
    Trained: Good (Auto)
    Subject: Emailing: Report-41366.pdf
    Identifier: 6AhTovHAh389njylTVuoNg==
    Actions: added rule <From (address) Is Equal to "Litwiller@hurryupoffense.com"> to SpamSieve whitelist, added rule <From (name) Is Equal to "bev Litwiller"> to SpamSieve whitelist
    Date: 2007-07-18 09:57:15 -0400

As I said above, I expect SpamSieve to catch the PDF spams. If this isn’t happening for you, please send me a report so that I can see what’s happening on your Mac.

I did not receive an enclosure. In any case, it is normal for SpamSieve to auto-train the whitelist when it predicts that an incoming message is good. If it turns out that the message wasn’t good, when you use the “Train as Spam” command, SpamSieve will disable (uncheck) the rule that was created on the whitelist and add a rule to the blocklist.

I'm going to remove many of these from the whitelist and see if I can add them to the black list...
    After using “Train as Spam” the whitelist rule should be disabled, and a rule should have been added to the blocklist. This is actually better than if you had removed the rule from the whitelist, because a the presence of the disabled rule prevents SpamSieve from ever auto-adding that rule to the whitelist again. In short, it should never be necessary to manually add or remove rules from the whitelist or blocklist. You only need to do that if you are creating your own custom rules.

Default distinguish good and bad pdfs?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    I don’t think this requires an update. SpamSieve is catching all the PDF spams for me. If it isn’t for you, there may be something else going on. Please check your setup and/or report the ones that are getting through.
    I got quite a number of PDF spam these days as well. I have not elected to
    mark them as junk, because I do receive lots of legitimate pdfs.
    Will Spamsieve differentiate between them?

best wishes
    T

Quote Originally Posted by trb View Post
    I got quite a number of PDF spam these days as well. I have not elected to
    mark them as junk, because I do receive lots of legitimate pdfs.
    If you expect to get good accuracy it’s essential that you tell SpamSieve the truth. If you get a PDF spam and let SpamSieve think that it’s good, not only will more PDF spams get through, but SpamSieve will also start letting other spam messages through, and possibly even think that some good messages are spam.

Quote Originally Posted by trb View Post
    Will Spamsieve differentiate between them?
    Yes, SpamSieve can learn the difference between spammy PDFs and good ones.

SpamSieve 2.6.3 is much better at analyzing messages containing PDF attachments. Some improvements will take effect automatically, but to get the full benefit you’ll need to reset SpamSieve’s corpus and re-train it. I would only bother doing that if you find, several days after updating to 2.6.3, that PDF spams are still getting through. That won’t be the case for most users.