Configuration & layout back up

Hi,

I’m working in a team where a couple of persons will use DropDMG to create a DMG of the app we produce. As the resulting DMG must look the same regardless of the producing person we need to share the configuration and the layout settings.

I noticed that I can export the config & layout to a file/folder. Unfortunately I didn’t find any way how to import them to another DropDMG installation. Is it possible?

Thanks,
Robert Pes

Yes, you can add them to one of these folders:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/DropDMG/Configurations/
/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/DropDMG/Layouts/

and then restart DropDMG.

You can also use detached configurations, licenses, and layouts via the command-line tool.

Configuration and layout feature improvement request.

Feature request:

• It would be a handy and improve usability if you added “Import Layout” and “Export Layout” options to the tool drop down where you currently have the “Duplicate Layout” and “Rename Layout” options.
  • Organize the layouts as proper bundles so that we can simple drag and drop them back into the relevant DropDMG preference tabs.
  • Support specifying added directories (possibly in Advanced) to scan for layouts. These would be helpful when more than one person may need to edit the layouts (and not just use them).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Scripting the configuration
You wrote:

You can also use detached configurations, licenses, and layouts via the command-line tool.

I see how to do it for layouts and licenses, but there does not appear to be a command to read the configuration from a file.

For “license-name” there is the parallel “license-folder”. For “layout-name” there is the parallel “layout-folder”. Is there a command not shown in MAN that is equivalent to “config-name”?

Thanks for your help.

SEGlass.

Sorry, I misspoke. You can detach configurations as separate files, but they are not directly usable from the command-line tool. You would need to put them in the proper Application Support folder and then access them by name.

However, unlike with layouts and licenses, everything that’s in a configuration can be specified via command-line arguments. So it shouldn’t be necessary to read from a configuration file (though I can see why you might want to).