Thread: Custom background image and icons possible on Windows-compatible disc?

Default Custom background image and icons possible on Windows-compatible disc?

Hi,

I am a little new to Mac OS X and I am trying to create a cross platform disc which will show a folder window with custom background and icons when mounted on a Mac, while also being readable on Windows XP and later. Is this possible? The custom layout and icons work perfectly on a Mac when burnt from a DMG file, but on Windows the disc appears empty (fair enough, this is an HFS+ only volume...). When I choose ISO image format in DropDMG, the disc works on both platforms but the custom layout option is greyed out in DropDMG's interface. When I select CDR format, I can select a custom layout, but then the burned disk again fails to read on Windows, displaying as empty.

So is is possible to do this and have a custom layout on a Windows-readable disc? If not, how would you suggest I distribute my app, with an DMG in the root of a standard ISO? Or with a .PKG installer?

I'd be very grateful for any help anyone has, I'm trying to ship a cross platform game in the next few days, and have just noticed that it doesn't work!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by whitebat View Post
    So is is possible to do this and have a custom layout on a Windows-readable disc?
    Currently, DropDMG cannot do this in one step. However, you can create a .dmg with the custom layout and then tell DropDMG to convert it to .iso format.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebat View Post
    So is is possible to do this and have a custom layout on a Windows-readable disc?
    With DropDMG 3.1.3 this is now possible with a single step.