Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Tagging annotated PDF

  1. #1

    Default Tagging annotated PDF

    Very occasionally I update a PDF in EagleFiler from its original source, say a web page. This caused me to lose some annotations I had made.

    I'd like to see if a PDF has annotations without opening it in Preview and switching the sidebar.

    A script that has to be run manually would be fine. Does anybody know how to check for annotations?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by towb View Post
    Very occasionally I update a PDF in EagleFiler from its original source, say a web page. This caused me to lose some annotations I had made.

    I'd like to see if a PDF has annotations without opening it in Preview and switching the sidebar.

    A script that has to be run manually would be fine. Does anybody know how to check for annotations?
    Just to be clear, you’re talking about PDF annotations, not EagleFiler annotations, right? My guess is that this could be done by scripting PDFpen.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    Just to be clear, you’re talking about PDF annotations, not EagleFiler annotations, right?
    Yes

    My guess is that this could be done by scripting PDFpen.
    No

    Automator comes with an "Extract Annotations" action. I'll report back.

  4. #4

    Default

    You can open the file in Skim and use File:Convert Notes to "embed" the Preview notes.

    Scripts to convert (aka "embed") and "unembed" notes from multiple files are included in these Skim file management scripts.
    Last edited by humanengr; 02-22-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: substantially redacted

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by humanengr View Post
    You can open the file in Skim and use File:Convert Notes to "embed" the Preview notes.
    Skim understands AppleEvents, but that seems like a rather roundabout way to do it and would still need to open a window to check each file.

    (unless I permanently convert to Skim, but I don't really see the point of that application now that Preview can do annotations)

  6. #6

    Default

    Sorry, I should have provided this instead:

    Skim has tools that let you do all this -- without opening the files -- in shell.

    After unembedding (either with the Applescript above or the attached shell script, using the "unembed" option), you can use the below to find all the annotated pdfs. (It searches recursively on a directory.)

    #!/bin/bash
    if [ -d "$1" ]; then
    find "$1" -type f -name "*.pdf" -exec "$0" "{}" ";"
    elif [ ! -z `xattr "$1" | grep net_sourceforge_skim-app_notes` ]; then
    echo "$1"
    fi
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by humanengr; 02-22-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: put shell script in attachment

Similar Threads

  1. Hierarchical tagging
    By s_kollipara in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 07:38 AM
  2. auto-tagging
    By midfield in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 06:10 PM
  3. tagging glitch
    By CTS in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM
  4. Spotlight and Tagging
    By terrydev in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 05:45 PM
  5. Tagging suggestion
    By edalzell in forum EagleFiler
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •