Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Apple Mail Lion - Train as Spam moves to "Junk E-Mail" folder instead of "Spam" folde

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Apple Mail Lion - Train as Spam moves to "Junk E-Mail" folder instead of "Spam" folde

    I am getting a lot of spam getting through Spamsieve lately, I'm not sure when this started but it seems I'm spending a lot of time manually training the same spam emails as spam. I'm still not sure why this is happening lately.

    When i was attempting to troubleshoot it I was noticing all the "Train as Spam" emails were winding up in my "Junk E-Mail" folder rather than going to the Spamsieve automatically-filtered "Spam" folder. I don't know if this is normal or not, I suspect not.

    I have a huge corpus, I think, with 29781 messages, 1271402 words, I'm wondering if this is making Spamsieve malfunction?

    I also have a huge whitelist, not sure why, but it has about 10000 enabled rules, this doesn't seem right, and I actually don't know how most of them got there, I'm sure I added some of them using the 'train as good' but seems too large. Anyway, any advice is appeciated.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    I am getting a lot of spam getting through Spamsieve lately, I'm not sure when this started but it seems I'm spending a lot of time manually training the same spam emails as spam. I'm still not sure why this is happening lately.
    I recommend first following the Why is SpamSieve not catching my spam? page to check for a setup problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    When i was attempting to troubleshoot it I was noticing all the "Train as Spam" emails were winding up in my "Junk E-Mail" folder rather than going to the Spamsieve automatically-filtered "Spam" folder. I don't know if this is normal or not, I suspect not.
    The trained spam messages go to the Spam mailbox unless you’ve used the SpamSieve - Change Settings command to pick a different mailbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    I have a huge corpus, I think, with 29781 messages, 1271402 words, I'm wondering if this is making Spamsieve malfunction?
    It’s possible, but best to first check the setup and the log to see whether/why SpamSieve is predicting the spam messages to be good.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    I also have a huge whitelist, not sure why, but it has about 10000 enabled rules, this doesn't seem right, and I actually don't know how most of them got there, I'm sure I added some of them using the 'train as good' but seems too large.
    If you’ve received good messages from 5,000 unique senders, it’s normal for the auto-training feature to have created 10,000 whitelist rules (for each name and each address).

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    I recommend first following the Why is SpamSieve not catching my spam? page to check for a setup problem.
    I have read that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    The trained spam messages go to the Spam mailbox unless you’ve used the SpamSieve - Change Settings command to pick a different mailbox.
    I have not changed that setting, it's set to "Spam" not "Junk E-Mail" That's why I'm confused.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    It’s possible, but best to first check the setup and the log to see whether/why SpamSieve is predicting the spam messages to be good.
    It seemed some of the senders that were assuredly spam were on my whitelist, for example, "Costco Gift Card." Others, not sure why. So not sure why that would be there. But I would rather not do so much detective work if I can help it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    If you’ve received good messages from 5,000 unique senders, it’s normal for the auto-training feature to have created 10,000 whitelist rules (for each name and each address).
    OK, good to know. Thanks for your quick response, Michael.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    I have not changed that setting, it's set to "Spam" not "Junk E-Mail" That's why I'm confused
    When a spam message gets through to the inbox, are you using the “SpamSieve - Train as Spam” menu command? Or a keyboard shortcut or button?

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    It seemed some of the senders that were assuredly spam were on my whitelist, for example, "Costco Gift Card." Others, not sure why. So not sure why that would be there.
    If SpamSieve thinks a message is good, it will add the sender to the whitelist. If it turns out that the message was spam, when you train it as spam SpamSieve will disable the whitelist rule.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    But I would rather not do so much detective work if I can help it.
    Well, you need to determine why the spam messages were uncaught. You can either figure this out by reading the log or send in a report so that I can help you.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    When a spam message gets through to the inbox, are you using the “SpamSieve - Train as Spam” menu command? Or a keyboard shortcut or button?
    I usually use the keyboard shortcut, but the menu item also results in the message being put in my Junk E-Mail folder instead of the spam folder. I also have to add that I occasionally use Outlook 2011 for Mac and have a Junk E-Mail folder(s) there and the behavior of manually train as spam is the same as mail.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    If SpamSieve thinks a message is good, it will add the sender to the whitelist. If it turns out that the message was spam, when you train it as spam SpamSieve will disable the whitelist rule.
    OK it makes sense then that SpamSieve is automatically adding new email addresses to my whitelist, mystery solved here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsai View Post
    Well, you need to determine why the spam messages were uncaught. You can either figure this out by reading the log or send in a report so that I can help you.
    After a little whitelist cleanup yesterday, it seems there are much fewer spams getting through, so something clicked in. So maybe I can hold off on the troubleshooting until it gets severe. Just the Junk E-Mail spam folder is still an issue that I'd like resolved if possible.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    I usually use the keyboard shortcut, but the menu item also results in the message being put in my Junk E-Mail folder instead of the spam folder. I also have to add that I occasionally use Outlook 2011 for Mac and have a Junk E-Mail folder(s) there and the behavior of manually train as spam is the same as mail.
    Are Apple Mail and Outlook connecting to the same mail account? With Outlook, SpamSieve uses the “Junk E-mail” mailbox, so maybe there’s no problem with Apple Mail at all.

    If the “Change Settings” command says that it’s set to use a mailbox called “Spam”, I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be doing that, but I suppose you could change it to, say, “Spam2” and if that has any effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by kmoreau893 View Post
    After a little whitelist cleanup yesterday, it seems there are much fewer spams getting through, so something clicked in.
    If you’ve been properly correcting all the mistakes, there should be no incorrect whitelist rules that are enabled, so I would not expect cleaning out the whitelist to have any effect.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2011, 11:37 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 01:20 PM
  3. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 10:05 AM
  4. New script "Empty Junk Mail Folder" ?
    By RichardG in forum SpamSieve
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 05:01 PM
  5. "Train as Spam" moves messages to wrong folder
    By MacMaarten in forum SpamSieve
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2007, 07:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •