EF Feature Request

Any chance of getting an import preferences item that would tell EagleFiler to replace a file/folder of the same name instead of adding a “-n” to the name?

I think this is unlikely. Could you explain more about what you’re trying to do? Maybe there’s another way.

Also note that for files (except mailboxes) you can do this directly via the Finder. EagleFiler will notice that the file has changed, and it will preserve the metadata.

I run a sync program on 4 different machines (located in different offices) every night that syncs the latest copy of most of the mailboxes from their /Library/Mail/V2 folders to Dropbox.

These machines may run unattended for days or even weeks at a time (though they don’t download mail while they are unattended).

I have an AppleScript that runs a few hours later on each machine and pulls the updated .mbox folders from Dropbox and asks EagleFiler to import them.

Currently, if one of the .mbox folders has changed, EagleFiler brings it in alongside the older version, adding a “-n” to the .mbox folder’s name.

Without manual intervention, EagleFiler’s “Files” folder is going to grow large. I’m trying to find some way to get rid of the older .mbox folders (there is no information in them that isn’t in the newer folder of the same name).

I guess another option would be to use AppleScript to ask EF to move the older .mbox folder into the trash before I ask it to import the newer one, but I don’t see any way to have AppleScript empty the trash when all the imports are done.

For now you would need to empty the trash manually (or via GUI scripting), but I’ll see if can add an AppleScript command to automate that.

Thanks, that would be great.

EagleFiler 1.5.6 adds the ability to empty the trash via AppleScript.