Files already in Dropbox

Hello.

I am coming back to EagleFiler after a hiatus. I currently keep the bulk of my files in Dropbox already, and I don’t want to move them in order to have them “found” and useable by EagleFiler. Is it possible for EagleFiler to leave them in place in Dropbox and just build the database around them?

Thanks!

You could create a new library in the Dropbox folder and then (in the Finder) drag the files into EagleFiler’s Files folder. EagleFiler’s Scan for New Files feature will then import them “in place.” Dropbox will detect that these are the same files it already knows about, so it won’t take a long time re-uploading them.

Or, if you don’t want the files moved at all, you could create the library outside of the Dropbox folder and replace its Files folder with a symlink to the Dropbox folder.

Okay, that makes sense.

Do I need to have the EF database be on Dropbox in order to include files from Dropbox? Or can the database be out of Dropbox and still point to files on Dropbox?

Thanks again!

I think Michael has already answered your question in the affirmative. To quote him: " you could create the library outside of the Dropbox folder and replace its Files folder with a symlink to the Dropbox folder." See: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2001110610290643