EagleFiler (eftexttool) hanging on XLSB files

Hi,

Is there a solution to the issue of eftexttool hanging when indexing certain XLSB files?

At the moment, I have to babysit the import and index process to quit the eftexttool whenever it hangs (100% CPU) so that the indexing can skip to the next message.

Cheers!

It sounds like you’re referring to an issue that you read about somewhere else. Do you have a link?

In any case, the next version of EagleFiler lets you tell it to skip indexing certain files. Please contact me via e-mail to get a pre-release build.

Hi Michael,

It may be related to a Spotlight issue indexing the same file type. Funnily enough, the issue does not affect ALL xlsb files, only a certain few.

Perhaps a check to stop the eftexttool process that has stalled would be sufficient, and to flag the file as un-indexed.

Yes, all the stalled cases I’ve seen have been when EagleFiler was using a Spotlight plug-in to read a file.

This is something I will consider for a future release. Thanks for the suggestion.

EagleFiler 1.5.4 can now exclude certain filenames and extensions from indexing, to work around buggy Spotlight importers. For example, you could enter these commands in Terminal:
defaults write com.c-command.EagleFiler SpotlightImporterSkippedNames -array-add foo.xls

defaults write com.c-command.EagleFiler SpotlightImporterSkippedExtensions -array-add xls

Would it be possible to make a similar “filename” companion to the UnscannedExtensions default to make the scan ignore files of certain filenames in the Files folder? I’d like to have EF ignore all Finder-invisible files of the form “~*.xlsx” that Excel creates as backup.

Yes, actually the UnscannedFilenames default is another new feature in EagleFiler 1.5.4.