Shortcut overload: »Command <« — import Text vs. select next window

»Command <« is already in use for switching between different windows of the same application. With EF it stops working or gives unexpected results. Could you please make the shortcut configurable?

thanks a lot
Hinnerk

This probably came up because in English layout keyboards, command-` (which is placed to the left of the 1 key) is for switching among windows of the same application. I dunno if it’s possible to set different hotkeys for different layouts, but in the meantime, hinnerk, you can manually set a different key combination for whatever menu items you want in the Keyboard & Mouse section of the system prefs.

It’s not possible to change the services shortcut within EagleFiler or in Keyboard & Mouse (as far as I know), but there are several utilities that can do it. I’m aware of the conflict–it was first reported by a user with a German keyboard–and the shortcut will be changed in the next version of EagleFiler, probably to Command-%.

that’s great, thanks!

Hinnerk

I’ve set a shortcut for the Open URL service to shift-command-U using the Keyboard Shortcuts preferences but it’s not displayed there anymore even though it still works, overriding Open URL in Camino and Open URL in OpenWeb.

…] and the shortcut will be changed in the next version of EagleFiler, probably to Command-%.

Ideally that shortcut isn’t already used by apps that are popular candidates for importing to EagleFiler. Fortunately it’s unused in Safari and I don’t have any services or hotkeys using it so it would be a “safe” change for me.

Speaking of hotkeys, it’s impossible to use a control key modifier with EF’s Capture key preference. I wasn’t happy with the F1 default. I prefer function keys be unused (by default) in apps, kept reserved for Apple’s purposes and for users to optionally (re)assign.

Yeah, using System Preferences is that it will override any menu item with that title. There are probably other applications that have a service called “Import Text.”

Right. I’ve tried to pick a key that isn’t used by any other applications, but if you find something else that uses Command-%, please let me know.

It’s working for me. Which combinations did you try?

It’s an over-simplistically error-prone UI. And adding keyboard shortcuts for shortcut (contextual) menu items would be useful but that’s unsupported.

I’ll be pleasantly surprised (shocked?) if any of it’s improved in Leopard.

There are probably other applications that have a service called “Import Text.”

Likely.

I’ve tried to pick a key that isn’t used by any other applications, but if you find something else that uses Command-%, please let me know.

Will do.

It’s working for me. Which combinations did you try?

EF didn’t accept the control key with any function key (e.g. control-F1; silent) and (optionally) any other modifiers (e.g. control-option-F1; beeps) that I tried.

Those are all working on my Mac. The catch is that if, say, Control-F1 is assigned to something in System Preferences (I think it’s “Turn full keyboard access on or off” by default) then EagleFiler won’t let you use it.

That’s it… thanks! It was in my blind spot while looking at those prefs earlier.

Did you disable/change the default control-F1 shortcut for “Turn full keyboard access on or off” your system?

Yes, I have that whole section of shortcuts unchecked except for Command-`.