Frequency of spam filtering drone technique

I have two Macs, a primary and secondary, and I’ve set up the second one as a spam filtering drone. It seems to be working correctly, except that when I put a message into the AddToSpam folder, it takes quite some time (usually at least 20 minutes) before SpamSieve sees it and moves it to the spam folder. I’m guessing that the AddToSpam rule is only run when new mail comes into my inbox. Is that true? If so, is there any way to make the rule run more frequently?

Correct.

There’s no mechanism to run a Mail rule except when mail is received. I’m not sure why the frequency would matter, but I guess you could write a stay-open AppleScript that periodically trains SpamSieve with the messages in the AddToSpam mailbox and then moves them.

Okay, everything makes sense now. I wish the MacMerc tutorial was a bit clearer about that. I sent the author a request in that regard.

It’s helpful mainly during setup. You can’t really test your drone until the next message comes in. I was banging my head trying to figure out why nothing was happening when checking for new mail. I didn’t realize I had to wait for a new mail to come in (or send myself a test message) before something would happen.

OK, thanks for the info. I’ll probably write my own version of the tutorial and try to be clearer on some of these points.