Undeleteable mail?

I have an Intel iMac running 10.5.2. It’s since the 10.5.2 update that I’ve been unable to delete mail directed into my Spam mailbox. I’m also using SpamSieve 2.6.6.

I’ve tried the different ways of deleting that I know of:

Edit > Select All then hit the delete symbol in the Mail window toolbar.
Select then Edit > Delete.
Select then Message > Move to … > Trash

None of them work. The items I try to delete firstly grey out then regain bold black lettering again.

I tried moving the ‘com.c-command.SpamSieve.plist’ file to the Trash, but when I opened SpamSieve again it decided I had an unregistered copy, so I moved the .plist file from the Trash and put it back where I moved it from.

I can delete messages from my regular inbox as per normal.

Can anyone help here, please?

This actually has nothing to do with SpamSieve. The message storage and deletion is all managed by Mail. It might help to use the Mailbox > Rebuild command or to quit Mail and delete the file:

/Users/<username>/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

so that Mail rebuilds its database.

Thanks, Michael, the Rebuild option (used for the Spam mailbox) seems to have done the trick. Never knew about that before.

need help deleting messages in SS/Entourage
Hi - I’m new to the forum and just installed SS last night.

I cannot, however, get the deleted items in the Entourage “deleted items” folder to delete. I tried the “tools/run schedule/delete messages,” and also the “click folder/command” but neither worked.

In the Entourage preferences, the deleted mail would delete when I closed Entourage (I think) but definitely when I would shut down the computer. I’d see the actual number of the messages being deleted.

I am now showing 1011 messages in the deleted messages, but I tried deleting a few more to see if the number would increase. It did not increase, so seems to be frozen somehow.

Thanks for your help. And one more question…how do I post my question directly to the forum? I answered from this thread as I was researching my problem.

System: iBook G4, MacOS 10.4.11, Entourage 2004 for Mac 11.4.0, SpamSieve 2.6.6

SpamSieve does not affect the way that messages are deleted in Entourage. You can delete messages by:

1. Selecting them in Deleted Items and pressing Delete.
  2. Control-clicking on Deleted Items and choosing Empty Deleted Items.
  3. Running the schedule. Note: this may be set to only delete items that are older than a certain number of days.

If these aren’t working, you may need to rebuild your Entourage database by holding down the Option key as you launch Entourage.

There is a New Thread button at the top of the main forum page.

Deleting
Thanks, Michael. The delete button did the job (duh).
-Phyllis