SpamSieve not starting when I start mail after 2.6.6 upgrade

I upgraded to 2.6.6. SpamSieve was working fine before this. Now if I close Mail and then open it again (or reboot and then start Mail) SpamSeive doesn’t start. So all of the spam gets through until I start up SpamSeive.

I noticed in the release notes that one of the bugs the release fixes has to do with multiple copies of SS starting up when Mail starts. Maybe this broke things on my machine. MacBook Pro running 10.4.11

What steps did you take in doing that?

Please make sure that the SpamSieve program is stored directly in the /Applications folder as shown here and that there are no other copies or old versions of SpamSieve on your Mac, even in the trash.

Also, please make sure that your Apple Mail rule for SpamSieve still looks like the one shown here and that it’s at the top of the rules list.

No, I don’t think that’s it. I don’t think this problem is due to any changes in 2.6.6 since no one else has reported anything like this.

What steps did you take in doing that?

SpamSieve said there was an update available so I followed the instructions for the update.

Please make sure that the SpamSieve program is stored directly in the /Applications folder as shown here and that there are no other copies or old versions of SpamSieve on your Mac, even in the trash.

Also, please make sure that your Apple Mail rule for SpamSieve still looks like the one shown here and that it’s at the top of the rules list.

Regarding these I didn’t change anything. SS is in the Applications folder and it exists nowhere else. I checked the Mail rule and it’s fine. In fact like I said SS works fine if I manually open SS, it’s just that it’s no longer being started by Mail.

Do you mean that you used the Software Update feature to auto-install the update? Or that you downloaded and installed it yourself?

Do you see any errors from Mail or SpamSieve in the console.log section of the Console application?

I used the auto-update.

I’m not getting anything when I load up Mail and SS doesn’t start. However there are some strange entries in the log

2008-01-27 22:15:21.887 Mail[569] 0x16866970: observer lock is held, postponing release. break at /SourceCache/Message/Message-753/Utilities.subproj/FoundationAdditions.m:649 to debug
Jan 28 17:45:09 the-users-computer mdimportserver[1132]: -[FileProcessor importMetadataFromFileAtPath:] Got exception *** -[NSConcreteData initWithBytes:length:copy:freeWhenDone:bytesAreVM:]: absurd length: -1, maximum size: -2147483648 bytes for path ‘/Users/user/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Spam.mbox/Messages/360484.emlx’
Jan 28 17:45:09 the-users-computer mdimportserver[1132]: -[FileProcessor importMetadataFromFileAtPath:] Got exception *** -[NSConcreteData initWithBytes:length:copy:freeWhenDone:bytesAreVM:]: absurd length: -1, maximum size: -2147483648 bytes for path ‘/Users/user/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Spam.mbox/Messages/360484.emlx’
Jan 29 04:50:34 the-users-computer /Applications/SpamSieve.app/Contents/MacOS/SpamSieve: CMSCreateDataProviderOrGetInfo : Invalid colorspace type

Does SpamSieve launch if you select a message and choose Message > Apply Rules?

What about if you select a message and choose Message > SpamSieve - Train as Spam?

When you do either of these things, the Mail plug-in will check whether SpamSieve is already running. If it’s not, it will try to launch it. If it encounters any sort of error, it will notify you either via an alert or in the log. So the fact that there were no such errors in the log leads me to think that the plug-in wasn’t even being invoked.

These are unrelated to SpamSieve.

This one is nothing to worry about. It’s normal to encounter images with bad colorspaces.