automatic creation of specific rule when a general rule exists

hi,
i made a rule in my blocklist saying: from (name) matches regex …
to my suprise SS created several rules saying: from (name) is equal to …

my regex catches the text in the specific rules.

the same goes for the whitelist. i made:
from (address) contains forums@
but SS made a new rule:
from (address) is equal to forums@c-command.com

why are the rules created?
btw, is it possible to stop SS creating rules concerning the from-header?

bye, kroosu

Because it’s useful (likely leading to better speed and better accuracy if you get any spam messages from a forums@ address) to have the specific rules.

Why do you want to do that? You could certainly turn off Train SpamSieve whitelist, but I think you’ll generally get better results by leaving it on.

Why do you want to do that? You could certainly turn off Train SpamSieve whitelist, but I think you’ll generally get better results by leaving it on.

i want to do it because i don’t like the algorithm SS uses to create rules.
when i make a rule i want it to hold, no matter wat SS thinks. when i block the word ‘replica’ from a subject, SS doesnt have to create a rule containing all replica products.

it looks like SS is written to learn spam & be corrected when wrong. i like the approach to tell it what it has to learn. that’s why i’m asking for options to disable learning capabilities.

OK, then turn off Train SpamSieve whitelist and Train SpamSieve blocklist. Then SpamSieve:

1. Won’t create new whitelist rules automatically when you receive good messages.
  2. Won’t create whitelist or blocklist rules when you manually train it with messages.
  3. Won’t disable an existing whitelist rule if it incorrectly classifies a spam message as good.
  4. Won’t disable an existing blocklist rule if it incorrectly classifies a good message as spam.

In my experience, SpamSieve’s automatic whitelist/blocklist features are a big help, but if you’d like to take responsibility for the rules yourself, you have that choice.