Whitelist question

I’m using whitelist and blocklist, but I never manually added, removed or modified anything in there. Actually, I opened those two lists the first time today. And I found more than 8000 entries in the whitelist, most of them were checked (so active, I guess).

I just received an email that is 100% spam, but has not been moved by SpamSieve. So I searched for the sender name in the whitelist – and it was in there! Does SpamSieve automatically whitelist senders and addresses of spam emails that I manually delete, so don’t train as spam (I did that in the past)? And also, does this mean that although I maybe trained a message from a sender in the whitelist as spam, the whitelist entry overwrites it and these messages will always and ever come through?

So ad idea would be to reduce the whitelist to a list as short as possible, right? Maybe order the table by “Hits” and only keep the ones that are used more than 10 times.

This brings me to another problem: I do not see the “Hits”-column in my whitelist. I know it exists, since I have just seen it on a friends computer. Right behind the “√”-column I have a super narrow column (3-4px) with no caption, maybe it’s just screwed up? But I can’t change width manually, won’t get the appropriate cursor even. What can I do here?

Any tip would be appreciated.

Yes, checked means that the rule is enabled.

That’s normal. When you receive a message that SpamSieve thinks is good, it adds the sender to the whitelist. If you train the message as spam, it will disable the whitelist rule and add a rule to the blocklist.

If a message is spam but SpamSieve didn’t move it to the Spam mailbox, it’s very important that you train it as spam. Simply deleting the message will severely reduce SpamSieve’s accuracy.

When you train the message as spam, the rule will remain on the whitelist, but it will be disabled.

For what purpose? The accuracy will be higher if you leave the disabled rules on the whitelist.

Can you make the window wider? Perhaps then you’d be able to see more of the Hits column.

Another option would be to quit SpamSieve and enter this command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.c-command.SpamSieve “NSTableView Columns RulesTable2.2Whitelist”

For what purpose? The accuracy will be higher if you leave the disabled rules on the whitelist.

Ok, that’s good to hear. I just thought because it slows down with a long whitelist …

Can you make the window wider? Perhaps then you’d be able to see more of the Hits column.

I can make the window wider, but it won’t change that very column’s width.

Another option would be to quit SpamSieve and enter this command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.c-command.SpamSieve “NSTableView Columns RulesTable2.2Whitelist”

The command gives me:

There is no (NSTableView Columns RulesTable2.2Whitelist) default for the (com.c-command.SpamSieve) domain. Defaults have not been changed.

Not really.

Are you running SpamSieve in English?

Hmm, well if all else fails you could try deleting the preferences file.