SpamSieve/Growl report twice as many good messages

I have some strange behavior which doesn’t affect functionality rather it is just annoying because it is incorrect.

I have SpamSieve v2.6.2 running with Apple Mail v2.1 and using Growl 0.7.6. It doesn’t appear that I always receive Growl Notifications although I do always get the audible notification. What’s more interesting is when a good message comes in Growl will report 2 good messages and the SpamSieve icon will show 2 good messages while the Mail icon shows only 1 message. SpamSieve and Growl always double the number of good messages so if 2 good messages come in to Mail they will report 4.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

chuck

I haven’t heard any reports of such a bug. Which Growl notifications are you referring to? Are you sure that it’s SpamSieve’s audible notification that you’re hearing, rather than Mail’s?

Are you sure that Growl is reporting double the actual number of messages? Do you see the correct number of “Predicted” entries in SpamSieve’s log? Mail only reports the messages added to in the inbox, whereas SpamSieve/Growl counts all the good messages that were received, including the ones that your rules moved to other mailboxes.

I believed it was the Good Message Count notification but I had all of the notifications enabled. I’ve now disabled Good Message (Not/In Address Book) so I’ll see when it happens next. You’re also correct that I was confusing the audible notifications. I always hear Mail’s and do not hear SpamSieve’s unless I also see the Growl notification.

Yes Growl reports double and if I switch to mail using Apple-Tab I’ll see double the number of entries on the SpamSieve icon. I just grabbed the log for the processing of the last email I received (which just so happened to be a false positive) and saw the double reporting occur. I’ve attached it here. I’ve never looked at the Log all that closely but it appears to have two Predicted entries. One with a score of 27 and a second with a score of 0 which is interesting but that could be from retraining.

=====================================================================
Predicted: Good (27)
Subject: CONGRATULATION
Identifier: 4eC52szTsiQM8oi/xt+Kcw==
Reason: P(spam)=0.000[0.493], bias=0.000, appreciated(0.001), appreciated(0.001), lawyer(0.998), lawyer(0.998), moore(0.998), ftp(0.002), ftp(0.002), moore(0.998), co-operation(0.005), smtp(0.005), backup(0.005), backup(0.005), gbp(0.005), disclose(0.005), disclose(0.005)
Date: 2007-06-29 21:36:37 -0600

Trained: Good (Auto)
Actions: added to Good corpus (492)

Predicted: Good (0)
Reason: looked up message in corpus

Trained: Spam (Manual)
Actions: added rule <From (address) Is Equal to “johancampher_2006@DriveHQ.com”> to SpamSieve blocklist, added to Spam corpus (1093), removed from Good corpus (491)
Date: 2007-06-29 21:36:54 -0600

Mistake: False Negative
Classifier: Bayesian
Score: 27
Date: 2007-06-29 21:36:59 -0600

Then perhaps everything’s normal. SpamSieve coalesces notifications within a few seconds of each other.

My guess is that you have an extra SpamSieve rule in Mail so that the good messages are being processed twice.

This was my problem as well–I had started off with just the one SpamSieve rule, but after adding a second email account (and second SpamSieve rule), Growl notification began doubling the number of good emails it was reporting. A quick check of the log file revealed that SpamSieve was indeed processing each mail twice, and a quick check of the Mail rules revealed that while “Every Message” works fine if you only use one account, once you add multiple email accounts and SpamSieve rules, you have to alter the scope of the rules slightly. Changing the rules from “Every Message” to “Account” for each separate account has fixed my problem, and Growl/logs now report correctly.

*Note: This happened because I set up separate spam folders for each account. If you have multiple accounts that all use the same spam folder, you can use the same SpamSieve rule with “Every Message” set and it works fine.