Can I use Mail.app Junk Button or an Act On rule?

Hello,

I’m trying out SpamSieve as a possibility for my organization (nonprofit museum with small staff.) We use Mail.app in Tiger and the built in filter isn’t cutting it anymore, especially since lots of other arts orgs send us exhibition announcements in HTML or with attached gifs etc.

1. Is there a way to re-program the Junk button in Mail.app to simulate the “Mark as Spam” keystroke (Command-Option-S)? I read that you’re not supposed to use it at all with SS enabled – since it’s attached to Mail.app’s built in Junk filter. But I prefer using a button for this.

2. Can I write a Mail Act On rule to simulate the “Mark as Spam” and/or the “Mark as Good” keystrokes?

3. Failing either of these, is there any way to remap the SS keystroke? The Command-Option combo really screws up my carpal tunnel-like symptoms in my left hand.

Thanks!

Not currently, although it’s something I’m looking into.

I don’t think so.

The standard keystroke is actually Command-Control-S. You can change it from the Keyboard pane of System Preferences.

Oops, you’re right – “control”
Thanks for the insanely quick reply. Sorry, of course it’s Control not Option, but it still aggravates my fingers. Well, add me to those who would definitely use the “Junk” button (and also a “Not Junk” button,) and in the meanwhile I’ll investigate an alternative keystroke.

I thought the “mark as” keystrokes were an Applescript – no? There’s an option to run an Applescript in the rules, so I thought an Act On rule might be possible.

I’ve only been using SS since yesterday, but it seems like a really well thought out product. It’s very likely I will be recommending its purchase to my boss if it continues to perform this well.

The “Mark As” commands from Mail are not AppleScripts. The SpamSieve training commands use AppleScript, but they are not just AppleScript. If you try to run the SpamSieve scripts directly or using Mail Act-On, Mail may hang.

I suppose it might be possible to write an AppleScript for Act-On that uses GUI scripting to tell Mail to select the “SpamSieve - Train as Spam” item from the Message menu.

I’m doing exactly this. First I wrote up this little Applescript that tells Mail to select the “SpamSieve - Train as Spam” item from the Message menu:

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Mail"
		keystroke "s" using {command down, control down}
	end tell
end tell

Then set up an Act-On rule that calls that Applescript when the appropriate key is struck. Works great for me.

It works!
Thank you SO much! I also was able to get this working. Now I can train as spam for SS through Mail ActOn.

No problem, glad I could help. You can also do the same for “Train as Good” by changing the “s” to a “g” and renaming the script file to “Train as good.scpt” or something of the like.

Have fun!
Sean

Any update on using the Junk (or other) button?

Any update on this? I have my mom and father-in-law trained to use the Junk button, which seamlessly integrates with good old JunkMatcher (they sure did it right, interface-wise), but JunkMatcher is now abandonware and I’d like to switch to SpamSieve.

But I’d like to keep the very nice ability for them to click the Junk/Not Junk buttons (or some other custom buttons, if that’s possible in Mail) to train spam.

Otherwise, they’re just going to just hit Delete and that won’t do them any good.

I think this is common for these types of users. The JunkMatcher developer figured out how to integrate his software with the Junk/Not Junk buttons and his was freeware…can SpamSieve do the same?

This is not possible with SpamSieve 2.6.5, but it’s a feature I’m planning to add.

The way JunkMatcher implements it is not suitable for SpamSieve.