Mail Won't "Mark As Read" after moving to Spam folder

Hi. I’m trying to have my spam messages marked as read after they are moved by SpamSieve to the Spam folder. I’m using Apple Mail 5.1 on Lion 10.7.2.

I followed the manual which says “to mark the spam messages as read, click the + button at the bottom of the rule sheet, and choose Mark as Read from the pop-up menu.” I did this within the SpamSieve rule and it didn’t work. I have also written an AppleScript which marks all messages in the Spam folder as read and added that to the SpamSieve rule which also doesn’t work. Just for good measure, I tried both of those in separate rules after the SpamSieve rule as well. The AppleScript works when run manually so that is not the problem.

Any suggestions for how I might accomplish this? I am using an Exchange account and my Spam folder is on the Exchange server and not on my computer. I’m not sure if that is part of the issue. Otherwise, SpamSieve is doing an excellent job of filtering messages.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I’ve never heard of this not working before. Could you post a screenshot that shows what you did?

Maybe the messages are going to the Spam mailbox for some reason other than SpamSieve. Have you verified in the log that it predicted these messages were spam?

That won’t work because Mail will stop applying the rules after SpamSieve says the message is spam.

Thanks for the reply, Michael.

I did some more research after posting and it turns out that Mail 5.1 is having several issues related to mail rules and Exchange accounts. Many of the issues seem to involve rules that move a message. In particular to my issue, I found that if I moved the Spam folder onto my computer and off of my Exchange account, the rule worked correctly and marked the messages as read.

Hopefully Apple is working to resolve this issue, but for the time being you may want to advise SpamSieve users that if they are using Exchange, they will need to have their Spam folder on their computer to add any additional steps to a rule.

Thanks for the follow-up.