Some goto Spam, others need Message->Apply Rules

I have been using SpamSieve in demo mode now for a little over a week - it’s getting pretty good at recognizing spam; though at first it did not (all to be expected). In general I like it.

However, one issue that wastes time and requires extra keystrokes from me is this…
When new mail comes in, some of the messages go straight to my Spam mailbox, while others do not. But, if I then select all the messages and go to Message->Apply Rules, the remaining spam messages are sent to the Spam box.

Why are some recognized as they come in, while others are not?

Thank you

The next time this happens, please use the Open Log command and see whether there are “Predicted” entries in the log for the messages that didn’t move.

There were many.
I tailed the end - is this what you were looking for?

Predicted: Good (0)
Predicted: Good (1)
Predicted: Spam (99)
Predicted: Good (27)
Predicted: Spam (99)
Predicted: Spam (95)

Sort of. Since you’ve filters out the Subjects, this just shows that SpamSieve found some spam messages and some good ones. What I meant was, take a particular spam message that was not moved to the Spam mailbox and find the entry for that message in the log. First, is there a Predicted entry for it? And second, does it say “Predicted: Spam” or “Predicted: Good”?

Hmmm…
Getting some result not predicted by your suggestion.
Here’s a short screencast movie, so I can show exactly what I found…

I just tried to reply, but it did not post - so here goes again.

I found that when I followed your second clarified suggestion 'the result was not anything you predicted. I want to show you exactly what I looked for, so I knocked off a quick screen capture movie to demonstrate for you…

http://jing.videvent.com/2011-08-08_1416.mp4

My replies aren’t posting here now - my third attempt…
Michael,

Sorry if you end up with duplicate replies to your last suggestion and clarification, but my earlier reply attempts failed to appear in the thread, so I will try this one more time…

Your suggestion did not produce any results in the log.
I decided to send you this brief screen capture movie, so you can see what I see - and what I did exactly.

Here it is… http://jing.videvent.com/2011-08-08_1416.mp4

Thanks for sending the movie. It looks as though other messages were added to the bottom of the log when you re-applied the rules, but with the fast scrolling I couldn’t see them all. Could you e-mail me the log file:

/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/SpamSieve/SpamSieve Log.log

and also Mail’s rules file:

/Users/<username>/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/MessageRules.plist

?

I sent Tim a beta version of SpamSieve that I thought might fix (or at least help diagnose) the problem. I’ve not heard back, so I’m considering this issue closed.

Tim followed up with me via e-mail. We found that the problem was that he was using a smart mailbox as his “inbox.” The smart mailbox was configured to show messages that were in his IMAP server’s spam mailbox. They did not appear in SpamSieve’s log because, having been caught beforehand at the server level, they bypassed SpamSieve and the other Mail rules.