Not getting good messages (in address book) growl notifications

Is there anything I could have done to stop these notifications? They are turned on in Growl Preferences. Does enabling the good message count disable them?

Is Use Growl global notification system checked in the SpamSieve preferences?

If you turn on the “Good Messages (Not in Address Book)” notifications, do those work?

No.

The “not in address book” messages do appear. I have defined them with different display style and sounds but all I get is the good message count.

What does “all I get” mean if you say that you’re also getting the “Good Messages (Not in Address Book)” notifications?

It sound sounds as though the sender address is not in the Apple Address Book (even though it may be in the Entourage, Eudora, or Postbox address book).

My wording was sloppy there. What I really meant to say is that I get the good message count but not the good message received messages.
I am using the Apple Address book and I assume that these messages know about it because I am getting the good message count.

Which mail program are you using? Please post some screenshots showing the Growl preferences for the two “Good Message” notifications. What happens if you set them to use the same display style as the “Good Message Count” notification?

I’m using Apple’s mail.app

What happens if you set the other notifications to use the same display style as the “Good Message Count” notification?

By the way, you can test the notifications by selecting a good message in Mail and choosing Message > Apply Rules.

Very strange. If I apply rules to a message from someone not in my address book I get a notification. If I apply rule to a message from someone in my address book I do not get a notification. However, when I apply a rule to someone not in my address book I get the good message count notification.
Here is what happened …
Apply rule
Person A in address book … no notification
Person B in address book … no notification
Person C in address book … no notification
Person D not in address book (I’m pretty sure) … no notification
Person E not in address book - good message (not in address book) notification plus good message count of 4

It sounds like your SpamSieve rule in Mail is not set up as shown here.

That was it … I had really screwed up my rules. I’ve had SpamSieve for several years and over the years I have messed around with the rules to try to address a number of issues. I managed to violate most of the procedure for SpamSieve so it is amazing it was working at all.

Thank you very much for your patience and assistance.