Mail keeps on downloading the same messages over and over and over again...

I set up my spamsieve rule with the standard method discussed in the help doc. I am using Mail and system 10.6.5.

After Mail downloads my mail and routes it through spamsieve’s gauntlet, it does the same routine again and again. For instance, Mail Activity shows 276 messages and spamsieve is going at them. When it is done and I tell it to check the mail again immediately after, it will again check 276 incoming messages. The spam count does not go up. The inbox does not go up. The trash does not go up in count. Nothing changes, other than this never completed process.

I don’t understand what is going on and why.

It is as if it goes back to the server forever going to look at the messages. I have set my mail account to remove messages from the server immediately.

How do you know that SpamSieve is going at them? Does this behavior still occur if you uncheck the SpamSieve rule in Mail’s preferences? Are you using a POP account?

I don’t know that it is spamsieve; it is just an odd coincidence that coincides with turning off Mail junk mail filter and turning on spamsieve functionality. I could test this by disabling spamsieve rule and turning on Junk Mail rule again.

I wasn’t asking whether you thought SpamSieve was causing this; I was asking for an explanation of your statement that “spamsieve is going at them.” What does that mean? To tell for sure whether SpamSieve is processing these messages you could look in the log. It probably doesn’t matter because the real question is why Mail is downloading these messages again, but I’m trying to understand the facts that you’re reporting.

I suggest that you only test one thing at a time, e.g. just uncheck the SpamSieve rule.

What kind of mail account is this: POP, IMAP, Exchange?

Epitaph: I think it had nothing to do with spamsieve - just a coincidence. I rebuilt my Mail account and the problem went away. I am not sure spamsieve is better than Mail spam filter yet - about the same amount of spam is sneaking through. I need to do more research about the corpus. Maybe my corpus is too big or something.

Please see the Why is SpamSieve not catching my spam? page for how to check your setup and interpret the log or send in a report.