2.8.1 Crashes Mail

Updated to 2.8.1 yesterday and every time I try to launch or access mail it now crashes. If I can time it right and force quit SpamSieve I can keep mail from crashing until SpamSieve launches again. I’m running OS 10.5.8.

Anyone else now having this problem?

Please check the folder:

/Library/Mail/Bundles

and make sure there is no SpamSieve.mailbundle there. There should only be one SpamSieve.mailbundle, and it should be in the folder:

/Users/<username>/Library/Mail/Bundles

If that doesn’t solve the problem, please find Mail’s crash log in the folder:

/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/

and submit it via e-mail.

Definitely only the one SpamSieve.mailbundle and it is where it is supposed to be. I’m more than happy to send the Mail’s crash log, but I think that there is something not right about it – the most current entry is Oct. 11, 2007. When I said that Mail was “crashing” perhaps I should have said that it was “hanging”?

I do see a HangReporter which does have Mail logs – but not in the user Library, just in the main Library but there is one for each of the six times this morning, and bunches for yesterday. Should I send those?

Meanwhile is there anyway to downgrade to the previous version?

OK, there’s a big difference between crashing (Mail quits unexpectedly) and hanging (Mail stops responding and shows the beachball cursor).

Yes.

I suggest temporarily moving the SpamSieve.mailbundle to your desktop and unchecking the SpamSieve rule in Mail’s preferences. If SpamSieve is related to the hangs, that will stop them. It’s easier to sort things out if you make as few changes as possible.

I’ve moved the bundle out of the user library to the desktop and unchecked the rules.

I haven’t however been able to figure out how to send you the files. I’ve tried both drag/drop to the email as well as attach, and the files do not attach to the email.

Both of those should work. It might help to drag the files to you desktop before trying to attach them.

Another option would be to create your own sample log. To do that, open the Activity Monitor program and select Mail in the list. When it hangs, choose Sample Process from the View menu. Then you can either save the log as a file or copy and paste it.

I did have to copy them to the desktop first. I’ve sent them to you just now. Thanks!

Thanks. Unfortunately, it turns out that there’s nothing useful in those hang logs. Please make your own sample logs using Activity Monitor (as described above) and send those to me.

If I’m understanding your directions though, I’d need to reenable SpamSieve to get the necessary hang to then create an Activity Log. And I’d rather not have to do that. I’ve pulled 2.7.7 from my trash from yesterday’s upgrade and have gone back to that. I assume that you’ll have something out in the near future to fix whatever is happening with 2.8.1 as I can’t be the only one having the problem.

Thanks!

Right.

No one else has mentioned this problem, and I haven’t seen it on my test Macs. So my guess is that it’s something specific to your Mac. If you send in a sample log I’ll be able to look into this further.