10.6.2 Breaks SpamSieve

Just a heads-up: 10.6.2 (Pre-Release) breaks SpamSieve. =/

incompatible plugin message under SL 10.6.2
SpamSieve plugin is not loading under SL 10.6.2. Just wanted to pass it on.

Mac OS X 10.6.2 is not shipping yet. If you have a developer seed and would like to be added to the list to try a pre-release version of SpamSieve, please contact me via e-mail.

hi michael,

i actually emailed you this morning. does this pre-release exist, or coming soon?

regards

It exists now. By the way, in case people are wondering, with previous versions of the OS, Mail would load plug-ins on the assumption that they were compatible. Since SpamSieve only hooks into a few places, it usually was, and so no SpamSieve update was necessary. With Mac OS X 10.6, Apple now intentionally disables all plug-ins each time there’s an OS update, until they’ve been specifically revised for that OS version. This can potentially make Mail more stable, but it means that people will need to update to a new version of SpamSieve each time, even if the plug-in’s code was already compatible.

confirmed 10.6.2 stops SpamSieve plugin from loading
I just upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.2 this morning and Mail 4.2 will not load SpamSieve.

Please make sure that you’re running SpamSieve 2.7.7 and choose “Install Apple Mail Plug-In” from the SpamSieve menu.

Cannot use Spam Sieve with 10.6.2
I just migrated my Mail application and old messages from my iBook G4 to my new MacBook Pro and cannot run Spam Sieve. When I try to run it, I get the message:

Apple Mail Plug-In Not Installed: SpamSieve could not install its Apple Mail Plug-In. You can install the plug-in manually be dragging the “SpamSieve.mailbundle” file into the folder: /Users/<you>/Library/Mail/Bundles.

When I drag the folder into the Library according to those directions and try running SpamSieve again, I get a message saying that the Plug-in has been disabled because it is not compatible with Mail 4.2 along with the advice to “Contact the makers of these plug-ins for versions that are compatible with Mail 4.2 and Message 4.2.”

When I try to update SpamSieve, I get a message telling me I already have the latest version (2.7.7). What should I do?

My guess is that you’ve used an application slimming utility that deleted parts of SpamSieve that were not needed on your iBook G4 but that required for the MacBook Pro. Please replace your SpamSieve application file with a freshly downloaded one.